As a mum one of our daily struggles is ensuring that our growing munchkins have a healthy, balanced diet. But what with the busy lives we all lead; work commitments, different commutes and various after school activities, as well as the cost of food, it is a struggle that is hard to get on top of.
Today my son came home from school with a booklet from Change 4Life called Top Tips for Top Kids. I really rate Change 4 Life; I've had the the app on my phone for a while now and turn to it when I'm in need of some healthy food inspiration. It has some brilliant ideas as does this booklet.
The booklet has 8 top tips which give you fab ideas that make giving your child the healthy option that little bit easier.
Here I will summarise the tips but I fully recommend you find Change 4Life on the internet for more information.
Change 4Life Top Tips
1. Sugar Swaps
- Swap sugary cereals for plain and serve them with fruit to add the sweetness.
- Swap sugary drinks for diet options, sugar free, lower fat, or water.
- And instead of sugary snacks swapto fresh fruit or plain rice cakes.
2. Regular meal times
- Organise your day around theee regular meals
- Eat together whenever you can
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day - it gives kids the energy the need.
3. Me size meal
- Give them a child size portion
- Start with a little and wait for ten to ask for more. Don't pressure them to eat it all up if they are full
- Watch packaging sizes. A pot of drinks & foods are designed for adult or for sharing.
4. Snack check
- Keep a count of what snacks and how many ray are having. You may be surprised and might be able to cut down
- Sometimes it's kinder to say no. Find different ways to reward them - a trip to the park or stickers for example.
5. 5 a day
- Fresh, frozen, dried, juiced & tinned fruit and veg all count
- A 150ml glass of fruit juice counts as one - limit to one glass though as more than this can increase the risk of tooth decay
6. Cut back fat
- Grill or bake instead of frying
- Cut off any fat you can see on meat before you cook it & skin chicken and turkey first.
- Drain off fat after cooking
- Cut back on snack foods - crisps, cakes, buns etc should be treats only.
7. 10 minute bursts of activity
- Get off the bus & out the car. If it's walkable then walk it.
- Clock up 60 mins of active play each day - before & after school and weekends.
- Splash about in the pool - lengths, widths or even just playing in the shallow end.
- Check out 10 minute shake ups! By searching Change 4Life
8. Get going everyday
- 2 hours max of screen time throughout the whole day. Including all tv, tablets phones etc. It all adds up.
- Run around after school
- Get them up and about after eating. Not sitting down on the sofa
So here it is, I hope you find these healthy tips as useful as I have.